After finding water damage to your house, either from a sluggish leak that has gone unnoticed for years, or storm or flood destruction, a suggested course of action is to call in experts such as a fire and water repair service. Their specialization is to clean up after water damage and will prove invaluable in planning the right course of action to be taken as well as the required repairs to be carried out. Have a look at The CleanUP Guys.
However, when waiting for flood damage repair specialists to come, there are precautions you should take that might preserve some of your precious belongings. The following are 5 basic activities to perform whilst anticipating their delivery, which should speed up the cycle of reconstruction.
- Circulate the air with fans by opening windows – the enemy number one would be the mold and the mildew that would start rising and destroy anything beyond repair. The more the air is moist the more potential mold will have to emerge, and the more mildew will have to spread.
- Remove all rugs and floor coverings you can-it can hold a lot of moisture in carpets so rugs and the drying cycle would be more successful if they are hanging up and dried.
- Place the furniture legs on wooden blocks-if there is water on the floor you need to get the furniture up and out of it as quickly as possible. The more it remains in mud, the greater the volume of moisture it can consume.
- Remove damp fabrics – as in floor coverings, as fabrics such as sheets, bedding and lounge coverings get soaked they contribute to the quality of moisture in the space such that they have to be brought outside.
- Using a dehumidifier-if the weather is warm and there is a dehumidifier available, operating it with the windows closed would significantly help with the drying cycle.