You and your tap: Easily extracted minerals by water treatment. Depending on the location of your home various minerals can affect your supply of drinks. Occasionally the taste of your tap water can be slightly bad, or you may find substances buildup on your cooking utensils or in your home plumbing. Water treatment may improve these circumstances but understanding some of the common causes of these problems is helpful first.Have a look at Greenfield Water Solutions for more info on this.
Hydrogen sulphide gas is a common cause of a smell or taste reminiscent of rotten eggs when supplied by a well in your house. Normally underground bacteria which occur naturally form the gas. Neither the bacteria nor the gas itself are harmful to the human body, although in rare instances they may suggest that the source has been polluted with sewage. If this is the case then the pipes should be promptly inspected because this is a significant health risk. For most cases there are no health hazards, but the bacteria can cause a accumulation of slime in the pipes after long periods of time, causing subsequent blockage or corrosion. Depending on the amount of hydrogen sulfide in the supply, various types of water treatment may be used to kill the offending bacteria at their source or on the journey into your home.
If you live on or around farmland, nitrates could affect what you’re drinking. Nitrates are naturally occurring substances contained in the soil which are important for growing plants. These are not toxic to the human body, in limited quantities. Nevertheless, nitrates are present in fertilizer at high levels, so nitrates will find their way down to your home from fertilized land through the underground source. If this is the case, water treatment can be a good, and often necessary, idea for your supply. Although influencing adults needs high levels of nitrates, studies indicate that babies and children are at particular risk. Remember that nitrates are doorless and tasteless, and when ingested they are difficult to detect.
Calcium deposits may often be present in what you are drinking for those who live in a rocky environment. Although calcium is a common mineral found in springs and rivers, some areas such as limestone and marble that are nearby rocks may have excessive levels of calcium.